Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Freshly Sharpened Pencils in Fall

"Colourful" - By Ole Houen from Denmark

Each year when fall arrives or school starts I remember the line from the movie, "You've Got Mail". Tom Hanks writes to the anonymous Meg Ryan, "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." It's one of the best lines ever! 

I love any place where the crisp, fall air overtakes the summer heat. Buying school supplies is another love of mine.  There is something about new spiral notebooks and file folders that makes me want to organize all of my papers! It helps if they are pretty.

"You've Got Mail" will turn 25 in December, so a whole generation of people must not have seen it. I recommend renting this one and enjoying a feel-good movie. It's not a spoiler to say that two people fall in love...so there, I've said it. But the movie is also a love story about New York. And of books and bookstores. The internet mail communication was cutting edge when the movie came out, which is funny. The movie offers me a love story to nostalgia as well. 

This is my and my daughter's favorite movie. When we lived in the same town we watched it together at least once a year. 

Nora Ephron is the film's director and the writer most credited with writing the script. What needs to get more acknowledgment (in my opinion) is the fact that the movie is co-written with Delia Ephron (Nora's sister).

Delia Ephron is a talented writer in her own right. Last year, Delia released her memoir, which I highly recommend. Since it has been a while since I read it, I looked back at what I wrote on Goodreads, which I'm sharing with you below.
I absolutely loved this book; it is Memoir at its best. I'm afraid my review will not do it justice. Ms. Ephron tells her stories with the intimacy of a close friend. One of the best stories is "Love and Hate on Hold with Verizon". Ms. Ephron captures the insanity of trying to get something simple corrected when you are dealing with a company that is so big it really doesn't care if you are satisfied. Her story is about Verizon, but could just as easily be about AT&T or Cable TV. The frustration, laced with humor, is universal.
Delia's Webpage

Enjoy the beautiful weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment